An overview of Texas law, statistics, legislation, and news stories related to Safe Haven Baby Boxes in the state.
- Texas does not have a specific law authorizing installation of safe haven baby boxes.
No baby boxes have been installed in Texas.
- HB1843 – Companion to SB1311. Amends state’s Safe Haven Law to authorize use of newborn safety devices. Sine die
- SB 443 – Companion to HB 1843 Sine die
- VIDEO: House Juvenile Justice & Family Issues Committee Hearing on HB 683: Extension of Baby Moses to 1-year, March 15, 2021 (related to baby boxes)
- Letter: Texas HB 683 Baby Moses age expansion to 1-year. Please oppose. March 15, 2021 (related to baby boxes)
- Texas: HB 1843 – In Opposition. Safe Haven Baby Boxes, House Human Services Committee, March 23, 2021 (personal letter)
News and Commentary
- College Station City Council Agrees to Study Hosting a Safe Haven Newborn Baby Box at a Fire Station, WTAW M/FM, August 31, 2022
- District 9 Councilman Announces Safe Babies SA: A Proposal to Install Life Saving “Baby Boxes” at Safe Haven Locations (press release), September 2, 2022
- Baby Boxes gives parents another option to surrender a baby, KSAT-TV, September 3, 2022
- These will save lives,” City Council proposes safe infant surrender box, San Antonio Express News, September 3,2022
- Sen. Bryan Hughes introduces bill aimed at keeping abandoned babies safe, Wood County Now, March 10, 2021
- Texas Safe Haven adoption alternatives – Abrazo Adoption Associates/Elizabeth Jurenovich. March 16, 2021
- Texas HB 683 Seeks to Expand Baby Moses Abandonment Age to 1-Year. Why We Oppose by Marley Greiner, Bastard Nation March 17, 2021 (related to baby boxes)
- Advocate promoting baby boxes in Texas, Baytown Sun, June 13, 2020
- Should Texas Adopt the Use of Baby Boxes to Save Unwanted Infants? Texas Hill Country, August 23, 2018
- Local nonprofit working to bring ‘Safe Haven Baby Boxes’ to San Antonio, KENS-TV, October 5, 2018
Updated September 3, 2022