Overview of Alabama law, statistics, legislation, and news stories related to Safe Haven Baby Boxes in the state.
- Not incorporated into online code yet.
To date, no baby boxes have been installed in Alabama.
- HB473: Authorizes SHBBs; expands SH locations, currently limited to hospitals with 24/7 emergency services, to fire and police stations. Allows parents to test-drive their babies by extending age-frame from 72 hours to 45 days, Passed. Effective Date: September 1, 2023
This kind of statement implies that placing a child for adoption is difficult if not illegal in Alabama. Rep. Givens encourages parents to use the baby box rather than to seek–heaven forbid– family preservation with the help of counseling for options and assistance, or , if it’s the final decision, a normal adoption.
Givens never asked adopted people what they think of her putrid bill.
I am hopeful that any parent considering giving up a child will go to a baby box and leave the baby inside instead of abandoning the child somewhere dangerous,” “We have to do everything we can to prevent harm to these babies.” alreporter, June 7. 2023
News & Commentary
- Proposed Alabama bill wants to make it safer to surrender newborns, WHNT-TV, April 19, 2023
- Bill expands “Safe Havem” law’ 10 “baby boxes” planned for college towns, Anniston Star, May 24,2023
- Bill to bring Safe Haven Baby Boxes to Alabama passes House, continues to Senate, WBRC-TV, May 24, 2023
- Safe Haven Baby Boxes could be coming to Birmingham, WVTM-TV, May 30, 2023
- We’re a step closer to getting Safe Havedn baby boxes for unwanted children in Alabama. Kids to Love, Foundation, June 1,20223
- Safe Haven Baby Boxes bill goes to Ivey, Yellowhammer News, June 1, 2023
- Alabama ad Absurdum: Now that abortion is illegal in Alabama, Safe Haven Baby Boxes to roll in to the rescue, SSHBBN, June 3, 2023
- Legislature passes Safe Haven Law championed by Rep Donna Givens, alreporter, June 7, 2023
- New “safe haven” law extends time parents can surrender unwanted babies, Cullman Times, June 19, 2023
- “Safe Haven” expansion in effect this fall, Alabama Daily News, June 23, 2023
- Safe Haven baby box allowing mothers to drop off newborns to be installed in Baldwin County, 1819 News, July 31, 2023
- Safe Haven Baby Box Coming to Prattville: Other items from Tuesday Council Meeting, Elmore-Autauga News, August 16,2023
- Safe Haven baby boxes could be coming to Dothan, WYTV-TV, August 18, 2023
- Gadsden set to install Safe Haven Baby Box at fire station, Gadsden Times, September 22, 2023
- Tuscaloosa Fire Stations Getting Safe Haven Baby Drop-Off Boxes, WUVA-TV, September 22, 2023
- Safe Haven Baby Boxes’ to be installed throughout the state, WIAT-TV, September 28, 2023
- City council gives final approval for infant surrendering box in Gadsden, one of first in state, WTVM-TV, September 28, 2023
- Hoover Ranked 5th Best School District in AL + Safe Haven, patch. com, September 29, 2023
- City officials approve safe haven baby boxes to be placed at fire stations, WDHN-TV, October 4, 2023
- “Safe Haven Baby Box” coming to Ozark. Dothan Eagle, October 9, 2023
- Another Wiregrass city set to get Safe Haven Baby Box, WTVY-YV, October 17, 2023
- Opelika to Lease, Install Safe Haven Baby Box, Opelika Observer, October 18, 2023
- City of Oxford working to get Safe Haven Baby Box, WBRC News Radio, January 11, 2022
- Baby Box plan would help save newborn lives, Anniston Star, December 22, 2021
Updated: October 23, 2023