An overview of Kansas law, statistics, legislation, and news stories related to Safe Haven Baby Boxes.
- No law authorizing installation of Baby Boxes
- HB 2024. Amends the Kansas Safe Haven law to allow an “infant refuge bassinet” (baby box) to be installed at state-approved locations for the anonymous relinquishment of infants up to 60 days of age by a parent with legal custody or a person designated by that parent.
Testimony & Letters
- HB2024: 1st Hearing, January 23, 2023 Video (1st bill heard)
- Adoptee Rights Law Center, written testimony in opposition to HB2024, dated January 20, 2023.
- Bastard Nation, written testimony in opposition to HB2024, January 23, 2023. I intended to testify remotely but had technical problems.
News & Commentary
- Kansas bill would allow parents to safely surrender children to Safe Haven Baby Boxes, SmithMountainLaker com /KCTV-TV, January 24, 2023
- Baby bassinets with alarms and locks offered as safe new way of surrendering a child in Kansas, Kansas Reflector, January 24, 2023
- MFED, city supports creation of “Baby Boxes” in Kansas, McPherson Sentinel, December 20, 2021
Updated January 27, 2023