An overview of Kansas law, statistics, legislation, and news stories related to Safe Haven Baby Boxes.
Baby Boxes: 0
Although authorized by recent state law, no baby boxes have been installed to date in Kansas.
- HB 2024. Amends the Kansas Safe Haven law to allow an “infant refuge bassinet” (baby box) to be installed at state-approved locations for the anonymous relinquishment of infants up to 60 days of age by a parent with legal custody or a person designated by that parent. Passed. Effective Date: May 4, 2023
Testimony & Letters
- Archive of testimony and attachments
- Adoptee Rights Law Center, written testimony in opposition to HB2024, dated January 20, 2023.
- Bastard Nation, written testimony in opposition to HB2024, House Committee on Child Welfare and Foster CareJanuary 23, 2023. I intended to testify remotely but had technical problems. Similar testimony submitted for Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee hearing March 7, 2023
- Video (1st bill heard)HB2024: 1st Hearing in Child Welfare and Fostercare Committee, January 23, 2023 .
- Video: HB2024 2nd Committee of the Whole hearing and vote, February 21, 2023,
- VIDEO: HB 2024 Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee, March 15 2023, (pending)
News & Commentary
- Kansas bill would allow parents to safely surrender children to Safe Haven Baby Boxes, SmithMountainLaker com /KCTV-TV, January 24, 2023
- Baby bassinets with alarms and locks offered as safe new way of surrendering a child in Kansas, Kansas Reflector, January 24, 2023
- Kansas House passes bill allowing for anonymous surrender of newborns in safety devices, Kansas City Star, February 22, 2023
- Kansas lawmakers approve baby box drop-offs, fostercare bill of rights, Kansas Reflector, April 14 2023
- Kansas governor signs bill establishing more protections for foster care youths, foster families, Kansas Reflector, April 24, 2023
- House Bill 2024 legalizes newborn safety devices, KSNW-TV, June 7, 2023
- McPherson fire department working to install first newborn safety device in state, KAKE-TV, July 20, 2023
- McPherson Fire Department gets enough donations for baby box, KSRT-TV, August 4, 2023
- Hutchinson Fire Department to add two baby boxes, KSN-TV, November 9, 2023
- MFED, city supports creation of “Baby Boxes” in Kansas, McPherson Sentinel, December 20, 2021
Updated: November 10, 2023