Information on Safe Haven Baby Box cases comes from news reports, SHBB Inc reports on social media, and Blessed to Have Been Abandoned: the Story of the Baby Box Lady by Monica Kelsey. From public reports, these babies were in no danger of discard or death.
1. Ocala Fire Rescue Station #1, MLK First Responder Campus
Date: January 4, 2023
Baby Information: Girl. Adopted name: Zoey. Adoptive parents: Katy and Vince. No last names given.
Details: Left in box wearing a pink onesie and covered with a pink blanket; and a little bottle was next to her. Shoelace tied to her umbilical cord. She appeared healthy and clean. Taken to Adventhealth Ocala, and 2 days later she was released to her adoptive parents, Adoptive father is the firefighter who found her in the box. According to news stories, they were thinking or planning to adopt and Vince left a handwritten note saying he and his wife had finished adoption classes and were ready to adopt. her. Says “God helped us out.” She was adopted through a private adoption agency as per Florida safe haven law.
- Newborn surrendered at Florida fire station “Baby Box, ” Fox 34 Orlando-TV, January 4, 2023
- A newborn was surrendered to Florida’s only safe haven baby box. Here’s how they work. NPR/KWBU-FM, January 6, 2023
- Remember the baby left in the Ocala Safe Haven box? Here’s her status, six months later, Ocala Star Banner, June 19. 2023
- She is very loved:” Baby left in Safe Haven box adopted by Ocala first responder who found her. WKMG-TV, June 19. 20234
- Adorable baby girl who was first in Florida to be left at safe haven box for unwanted infants is adopted by her rescuer six months later, Daily Mail, June 22, 20223
- Newborn baby left in Safe Haven Baby Box was adopted by the firefighter who found her, Today, June 22, 2023
- Firefighter Adopts Newborn Girl Left in Florida Safe Haven Baby Box: “We Locked Eyes and That Was It” People, June 23, 2023
Updated June 23, 2023