An overview of Georgia law, statistics, legislation, and news stories related to Safe Haven Baby Boxes in the state.
- No specific law authorizing installation of baby boxes
- HB881 – Authorizes the use of newborn safety devices in hospitals, fire stations, and police stations; requires a state government committee to investigate boxes before they are enacted in law. Passed House 168-2-10. Not heard in Senate. Covid shutdown. Sine Die
News and Commentary
- Georgia lawmaker proposes adding ‘baby boxes’ for relinquished infants, Fox 5-Atlanta, February 11, 2020
- Georgia: Second worst in the U.S. for abandoned infants, WSAV-TV, July 2, 2018. (Includes highly erroneous statistics on the number of discarded infants; that number has been picked up by numerous media)
- Cobb County women creating Hope Box for abandoned babies, WMAX-TV, November 17, 2015
- Mothers Can Leave Newborns at ‘Hope Box’ in Safety, patch.com November 18, 2015 (unauthorized baby box?)
Information regarding The Hope Box operating in Georgia will be posted later.